IT Management refers to the administration and monitoring of the entirety of an organization’s computer resources including hardware, software and networks as well as the relationships between them. Its goal is to serve the needs of the organization’s business functions and to focus on providing these as efficiently and securely as possible.
The responsibilities of this function includes:
• Determining IT systems needed to meet business requirements
• Managing the overall IT budget and controlling costs
• Ensuring safety and compliance requirements are met
• Providing system and network security functions
• Implementing changes in software, hardware and data structures
• Administering the overall computer systems function and providing help-desk and other user support
• Determining IT strategies and goals for future planning
IT Management is typically led by a Chief Information Officer (CIO) that is responsible for all aspects of IT infrastructure and delivery. It is changing along with an ever-evolving technology market and most see the management function today as less about administration and maintenance than on the best ways to navigate advances in the way IT functions are provided.