The Ruskin Pottery was an English pottery studio founded in 1898 by Edward R. Taylor and was run by his son, William Howson Taylor. It was named after the artist, writer and social thinker John Ruskin since they followed the tenets of Ruskin. The pottery was situated first at Smethwick and then in Staffordshire in the West Midlands county.
Ruskin ceramics were known for their innovative glazes (inspired by Chinese ceramic techniques). These were applied to a range of brightly coloured pots, vases, bowls and tea services and many other items. Theses included misty souffle glazes, ice crystal effects, lustre glazes resembling metallic finishes and the most highly regarded of all, flambe blood-red glazes. The latter were produced by reducing copper and iron oxides at high temperature. This technique was first developed in China in the 13th century and introduced to Europe in the late 19th century.