Unfortunately, slavery continues to exist in the 21st century with an estimated 20 to 30 million people being enslaved around the world. Following are some ways that everyone can help stop modern slavery:
• Shop only with businesses that have a transparent supply chain in which slavery is not a factor; this can include buying fair trade products or that are otherwise certified as having been produced without coerced labour.
• Donate to organizations that work to help end slavery and unfair employment practices around the world.
• Use social media and other online methods to publicize the problem of slavery and encourage others to be aware of, and take action against, slavery.
• Volunteer your time with an anti-slavery group in your country – over 60 countries around the world have such organizations established.
• Educate yourself about the existence of slavery and human trafficking and become an advocate for its outlawing and prevention.