The cost of commercial drones (or unmanned area vehicles) has been steadily coming down while the usability and features they offer have improved significantly. As a result many people have started businesses that feature drone services.
Drones now have features that include built-in high-resolution cameras, GPS technology that enables pre-programmed flight routes, collision avoidance and active tracking among others.
Drone business ideas include the following:
• Aerial photography or video recording
• Surveillance to provide security for homes or business premises
• Building inspections to check roof or chimneys and other hard to reach areas
• Agricultural surveying to test crop quality or fertilizer requirements
• Mapping and surveying land or checking maps against the actual terrain
• Insurance inspections for industrial and commercial sites
If you’re thinking of starting a drone business you’ll need to get a commercial drone license from the Transport Safety Administration (TSA).